With venues all over Stoke Newington, inevitable programme clashes and refuelling with food and drink to fit in, here are some tips that might help you plan.
- Check the venue map in the printed programme to work out how far it’ll take to get between venues. On Church St you’re never more than 5 minutes away from the next venue, but St Paul’s Church Hall is about 14 minute walk to the Town Hall.
- We aim to keep events to 50 minutes to allow you to see one event at, say, 2pm then get to one at 3pm. Sometimes they run over a little bit so it’s worth either leaving a little early (usually the last part is Q&A so you won’t miss the main event) and we try and accommodate letting people into events if they’re a little late, though this is at the discretion of the venue captains.
- There are bars in most venues (please also remember that the money we make from bars goes directly into helping fund the festival and literacy initiatives!) serving a range of beers, wines, a small number of spirits and soft drinks. We don’t serve food, but there are numerous cafes and restaurants happy to provide everything from pizza to gozleme.
- As well as the bigger names you might be familiar with, we’d love you to try something you’ve never heard of. We keep ticket prices as low as we can, firstly to make sure events are accessible for everyone and secondly, to make sure that cost isn’t a barrier to learning something new! For the price of a pint or two frothy coffees, you can have your mind blown and your horizons expanded! So if you’re coming to see Nigella, you might find it interesting to hear why novelettes are experiencing a renaissance.
- The Budvar Tent outside the Town Hall is a great place to meet up with friends, browse the programme, buy some last minute tickets at the adjacent box office and listen to our fabulous free music programme. We’ve got everything from rockabilly to surf noir, choirs to a brass band playing punk covers, so it’s really worth checking out. It also serves some of the best lager on the planet, thanks to our friends at Budvar.
- Our pink-t-shirted volunteer crew are easy to spot and incredibly helpful – if they don’t know the answer to your question, they’ll know someone who does.
We hope you have a fantastic weekend and look forward to seeing you!
© 2019 Stoke Newington Literary Festival. Stoke Newington Literary Festival C.I.C. is a company limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales number 7990786. Registered Office: 52 Bayston Road, London N16 7LT.
Site by Zerofee. All festival photos©: www.davidxgreen.com. Ticket icon designed by Mateo Zlatar from the Noun Project